Travel Insurance is mandatory for overseas travel. However, most of us choose to get it through our travel agent who would offer a bare-bones, low-cost policy for a few hundred rupees. That may not be a bad idea if your trip is very short and you are generally healthy.
But longer trips which require you to change flights etc might require something more. In comes travel insurance offered by proper insurance firms.
Travel insurance is intended to cover medical expenses, financial default of travel suppliers, and other losses incurred while travelling.
Travel insurance often offers coverage for a variety of travelers. Student travel, business travel, leisure travel, adventure travel, cruise travel, and international travel are all various options that can be insured.
Typically, travel insurance covers
• Medical/dental expenses
• Emergency evacuation/repatriation of remains
• Return of a minor child
• Trip cancellation/interruption
• Accidental death, injury or disablement benefit
• Overseas funeral expenses
• Delayed departure, missed connection
• Lost, stolen or damaged baggage, personal effects or travel documents
• Delayed baggage (and emergency replacement of essential items)
• Legal assistance
Some travel policies will also provide cover for additional costs, although these vary widely between providers.
In addition, often separate insurance can be purchased for specific costs such as:
• Car Rentall collision coverage
• Sports with an element of risk
• Travel to high risk countries
• Kidnap and ransom
• 3rd Party Supplier insolvency (e.g. the hotel or airline to which you made nonrefundable pre-payments has gone into administration)
Travel insurance policies in India: Common Exclusions
• Pre-existing medical conditions
• War or terrorism – but some plans may cover this risk, and some do cover for acts of terrorism
• Injury or illness caused by alcohol or drug use
Usually, the insurers cover pregnancy related expenses, if the travel occurs within the first trimester. After that, insurance coverage varies from insurer to insurer.
Travel insurance can also provide helpful services, often 24 hours a day, 7 days a week that can include concierge services and emergency travel assistance.
Typically travel insurance for the duration of a journey costs approximately 5-7% of the cost of the trip.
We pick two insurance policies that might suit a business/holiday traveler well:
This will cover you for
• Coverage of Medical Expenses: Travel Guard takes care of your medical expenses due to accident and sickness while traveling so that you can concentrate on better things like enjoying the holiday.
• Checked Baggage Loss: Compensation for the loss of checked in baggage.
• Baggage delay:Compensation for reasonable expenses incurred for purchase of emergency personal effects due to delay in arrival of checked in baggage, whilst overseas.
• Loss of Passport: Compensation for expenses incurred in obtaining a duplicate or new passport.
• Personal Liability: Compensation for damages to be paid to a third party, resulting from death, bodily injury or damage to property; caused involuntarily by the insured.
• Hijacking: In an unfortunate event of your common carrier in which you are traveling; being hijacked, this product will pay a distress allowance to you.
• In-hospital Indemnity: Travel Guard pays a Daily benefit for each day you are an inpatient in a hospital due to injury or sickness.
• Trip Delay:Reimbursement of additional expenses occurred due to trip delay (only if the trip has been delayed for more than 12 hours).
• Automatic-extension of the policy: Travel Guard allows you to extend your policy upto a period of 7 days from the policy expiry date.
• Personal Accident: Travel Guard gives you worldwide coverage against Accidental Death and Dismemberment while you’re abroad anywhere in the world.
• Sickness Dental Relief: The policy pays for immediate Dental Treatment occurring due to sudden acute pain during the course of an overseas Insured Journey. Dental benefits will be provided for Medically Necessary filling of the tooth or surgical treatment, services, or supplies.
This travel insurance policy is suited to:
Any resident Indian between the age of 6 months and 70 years can take this insurance for travel abroad on business or leisure. This is available as – Including America policy (for North & South America including Canada) and Excluding Americas (for the rest of the world).
You are not covered if any expenses incurred directly or indirectly in respect of:
Traveling against the advice of the physician; for obtaining treatment;
Pre-existing ailments & complications arising out of them;
Suicide or attempted suicide;
Dangerous sports etc.
Reliance Travel Care Policy claims to give you protection to meet your unique needs.
Convenient for you
• Reliance offers long-term plans – upto 182 days, which is extendable up to 365 days.
• 24 Hour Emergency Cashless Services offered through Emergency Assistance Service Provider.
Reliance Travel Care Policy covers you for:
The plan will pay for in-patient and out-patient hospitalisation. It also provides a daily allowance if hospitalisation exceeds 2 days.
This policy also covers the travel cost of an immediate family member incase of hospitalisation of more than 7 days.
It also covers dental expenses for acute anaesthetic dental treatment caused by injury.
The plan also compensates you for emergency evacuation to India and cover the cost of repatriation of mortal remains.
In case of an accident, the plan will provide compensation for death or permanent disability.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment-Common Carrier
The policy also provides compensation for death or permanent disability due to an accident on any flight, ship or other common carrier.
Other items covered are:
Coverage against loss of passport by reimbursing the cost of obtaining a fresh or duplicate passport.
If your checked baggage is delayed more than 12 hours then Reliance Travel Care will reimburse you with essential expenses. Incase of total loss of baggage by the common carrier, we provide compensation for the same.
Incase of the trip being cancelled or interrupted, compensation for any non-refundable payments or additional expenses incurred will be paid. If you miss a flight connection due to a delay of more than 3 hours, then additional expenses incurred by you will be reimbursed.
• Liability to a third person caused involuntarily by you or your family.
• Emergency cash incase you lose your travel funds due to theft
• Special distress allowance in case of hijack
• Cover against the loss of your possessions if there is a home burglary while you are abroad.
The claim will not be valid if the insured is:
• Travelling against the advice of a physician
• Receiving or are on a waiting list for specified medical treatment
• Travelling for the purpose of availing treatment
• Has received a terminal prognosis for a medical condition
Those eligible for this plan are:
• People above the age of 6 months
• People who are travelling abroad.